C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, October 20, 2023

Dot Dot Dot

Inspired by the pink and yellow/orange strawflower bloom....I've been slowly working on this doodle spread in my art journal. It's just a bit of paper play!

I want to soften the harsh lines around the squares. You can see I started adding some small tissue circles in the upper left....and I may try a variety of things using paper and paint. Then and and I'll coordinate something on the opposite full page and figure out something for the stubby page in between. And...the spread may need a quote. The larger circles on the left are not glued in...and I may not even use them. 



There are touches of gold....and lots of dots. In case you haven't noticed...I have a thing for dot dot dots....even in my writing. If I'm being totally honest....it started with my insecurity about using commas....and now it's become just a thing I do when I want a bit of a pause.  I know it's called an ellipses....and as I understand it...the official use is when omitting words. So can it also be used when you're omitting avoiding a comma?  One online source agrees with me that it can indicate a pause....so I'm sticking with it. There's no stopping me now!


This is how it started.
I wasn't feeling overly confident at this point...
but I dot dot dotted on!


4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm loving your art here … and I'm loving the punctuation discussion! Your softening of what I would call sharp (rather than harsh) lines is effective, MaryAnn; you use contrast to interrupt and add visual interest.

    I had cause at some point in the past few years to do a bit of ellipsis research when doing a small editing job. Indeed, an ellipsis (singular) or ellipses (plural) can be used
    to indicate the omission of words, suggest an incomplete thought, or represent a pause : )

    At that time, I learned (I think for the first time) how to correctly punctuate an ellipsis. In general, it should be treated as a three-letter word, with a space, three periods, and a space.

    AND, did you know there is a keyboard shortcut for an ellipsis? Press option plus ; on a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right....sharp is a better word than harsh.

      I'm not surprised that you would have insight into the ellipsis....and it's good to know more about it. Thank you! And since I don't leave spaces before or after....and sometimes I have three...sometimes I have more......dots...I guess I'll just carry on and not worry about it too much.

      But I am tickled that you confirmed that it can mean a pause or an incomplete thought....and that there is a keyboard shortcut...and that is should be treated as a three letter word on it's own. All interesting little tidbits! Thanks Dotty!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! You tapped a little language nerd bit of me yesterday!

      Delete
    3. ha ha....I had a feeling the language nerd was in there somewhere!

      Delete