C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, October 16, 2023

What a Difference...

.....a day makes. 

This strawflower bloom is so special.  The first photo was taken on Saturday....and the second on Sunday. How may little tiny petals do you think there are that unfurled exposing that beautiful center.  Just look at all the layers and rings of color and texture.  If this isn't magic....I don't know what is.


Strawflowers look soft and supple....kind of like a mum. But from the minute they bloom they are crisp and straw like....just like their namesake.  They actually make a crunchy sound when you touch them.  I remember my mom growing strawflowers on the farm...and using them in wreaths and decorating....they dry beautifully.


I photographed these three on Saturday....


...then again on Sunday.  Like I said....what a difference a day makes.


The bees and I hung out enjoying the blooms for a long time.



And to top it off....the collection of little pumpkins and gourds on the porch was a sweet backdrop. I'm sure I'll be going back to look again and again.

6 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, thanks for shining light on the unfolding of life that is unfailingly and continuously in process. Today was a transition day for me between being away and being back at my home. I struggled more than once to remember, let alone find, any foothold in at-home routines and to find ease at being betwixt and between. I will put my head on my pillow tonight setting an intention to flow with unfolding come the morrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home Dotty! Transition days are always challenging for me too. I hope your time "betwixt and between" finds a new rhythm and a comfortable routine. It was so fun following along with your creative adventures while you were away.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I have ever heard the name "straw flower", although I've probably seen them before. What a gorgeous shade of pink! I thought the petals in the first picture looked like they were braided- but that could just be because I didn't have my glasses on :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....I saw some sort of braid too! I have just been mesmerized by them....took a look again this morning and was surprised by what I saw. And maybe you're on to something by looking sometimes without your glasses....it's a whole new world.

      Delete
    2. Without my glasses everything is an impressionistic painting.

      Delete