C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, October 30, 2023

UFP

Paul's cousin Caren and her husband David are visiting from Colorado so we did a little touring this afternoon.  It was raining....so we didn't get out much. But it's still fun to drive around our lovely city.

While they were visiting Margie this morning....I started working on the Anchor Image Exchange project....that's what I'm going to call it....unless I come up with something better.  I will be working on both mine and Tracie's images this week. I usually have to play around with several ideas...then let them sit for a bit until I figure out what I'm going to do.

So while I'm mulling things over I decided I'm going to try and get closure on a few UFP's (un-finished projects) I have laying around.  Things I want to give away...and maybe a few I'll try and sell at the consignment store or get out into the world somehow.  There could very well be dozens of these UFP's in my studio.

I made this wooly leaf piece back in 2020 right after I did the Swirls of Color class with Izzy Moore. The technique was inspired by Izzy's class and the design was inspired by Ellen Lindner.  If you're interested in the process....I wrote about it here: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2020/08/wooly-leaf.html

On the left is where I started this morning...and the right is where I ended.  This is going to my friend Jane...who I think is giving it to her daughter Kate. 


I found a paint panel that was the right size and trimmed the piece to fit on top.


I cut a border out of hand dyed navy fabric and fused a stip of webbing on one edge.  In this photo the paper is still on the webbing....but I took it off before I stitched.


I stitched it onto the piece mitering the corners just like I would do a quilt binding.  You can see the fusible webbing edge which gets pulled around and fused to the back of the wooden panel with a hot iron.  You can see my Swirls of Color project and some photos of this binding technique here in this post: 



Here are a couple of side views. It's a clean and simple way to mount a fabric piece.


One UFP is now a finished project!  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. My vicarious pleasure of your project completion is huge, MaryAnn! I'll put my head on my pillow tonight feeling twice as productive as I actually was today hahaha! That wooly leaf is stunning; brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on Dotty! It felt good to finish something.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Thanks for continuing to share your pieces.

    ReplyDelete