C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, May 1, 2023

Drawer With A Story

My head and my heart are overflowing with little nuggets of this and that: ideas, inspirations, tasks, and connections....and they all seem to be coming together and overlapping in interesting ways. I'm feeling energized....and that has to be good.

I'm still mulling over the article I posted about yesterday....and today I was moved...both literally and figuratively by this line by Anne Patchett:

"Every table had a drawer, and every drawer had a story."  You know me and my love for a story.

I have a table in my kitchen that I absolutely love.  It came from Margie's home in Colorado and it was something I chose when she was giving things away before her move east.  It was perfect for this spot in front of the window...partly because it had a drawer.

When Margie recently moved into her new apartment she thought she would like a small writing desk/table.  Since this was once hers...I knew she loved it so I offered it back to her and she accepted.  It was actually the first thing we moved into the apartment.

But in the end...there wasn't quite enough room and her other pieces
 of furniture proved to be more important...so I got it back.


And although I would have LOVED for her to have it...I'm thrilled it's back in my kitchen.  And since I had to empty the drawer to move it....I had the opportunity to reinvent what would go back inside.  

"Every table had a drawer, and ever drawer had a story....and none of them interesting."

 That's actually the whole quote from the article....and it was true for this drawer. There was a hodgepodge of things....a senseless tangled uninteresting story. I went through everything today....put back just the things that made sense....recycled what I could...and threw the rest away. 


Now this sentimental table with its fabulous drawer has local takeout menus, birthday candles, (enough for the rest of our lives...that Peace Joy Love box is full) matches, phone and family birthday lists, and a few other useful items tucked in the back. Tackling my stuff....one small space at a time.


I'm not quite done.....there's just a little more to today's drawer story.

I had a delightful Zoom conversation with Dotty Seiter this morning....and dozens of artful things are running through my head.  She most certainly is an artist and writer I admire.  But her blog post today had me giddy.....and prompted me to record this particular quote in a different way. Her post was actually about "permission slips".....but don't get me started....that's for another time.  Today it's about the art piece she shared where she used writing as mark making.


"Every table had a drawer, and every drawer had a story."  


I found a textured art experiment in my stash to use as the background....wrote out the quote in my own terrible handwriting (very different than hand lettering) and used the technique of neurographic art that Dotty wrote about in her post to round out all the intersections.  I didn't have a lot of time....so may develop this a bit more another day....but then again....maybe not.


This is a simpler version of neurographic art that I posted back in 2022....
inspired at the time by Dotty. 


2 comments:

  1. omg! brilliant! brilliant idea, brilliant execution! will you decoupage this piece to the drawer???

    ReplyDelete