C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Saved!

It was a perfect joyful puttering day.  

I puttered in the garden...planted a few new things and moved some others around.  I put up the hummingbird feeders (saw the first one today) and washed some windows and put in some screens so I could open windows. 

Then....I just sat and watched the birds for a while.








This birthday card was late getting to Tracie....but I've always thought birthdays should spill over into the surrounding days....and weeks anyway.

Creating it ended up being quite a string of comic missteps....at one point I even laughed out loud. 

But in the end I think I saved it and it became sendable.

Are they balloons? 
Are they flowers? 
You decide!




It started with some watercolor swatch dots....all from a spring set of VIVIVA colorsheets

I wrote about the these paint sets in this post: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2021/05/blocks-of-color.html back in 2021.

I have a few different sets....and I thought Tracie would enjoy this spring version. The colors are scrumptious! 

I ended up doing the swatch dots 3 or 4 times....I kept messing up or not leaving enough room for the writing.  

But that meant I had lots of colorful dots to cut out and play with.  Why not make a quick card....I thought late one evening.  Silly me.
It started with some random fused stems of colorful fabric right on a premade card.

I pictured the dots as happy little pops of colorful flowers....quick and easy.  But I couldn't get the placement right based on the stems I had.  So I cropped it down....once...then twice....and not in a good way.  
I was left with a squatty little strip of stems.  I added a few pointy leaves....lined the dots up....and stitched them down. I slid it into one of my frame cards...added the hand lettering....and stitched around the border. Saved!


  A colorful packet of birthday dots!
Happy Birthday Tracie!

4 comments:

  1. One of my long-time friends and I take active delight each year in sharing the details of the stretch of how many days our respective birthdays spill into! Last year I unwittingly helped her bday celebrating go on for ages—I put a gift in the mail well ahead of her day, the USPS lost it somewhere, and, by the time I'd waited for USPS to say it was officially not gonna show up and I'd ordered the gift anew and sent it along, months had elapsed!

    Your card for Tracie—bright, colorful, textured, handmade, storied, priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! Makes the birthday gift even more "storied" (love that word) and special.

      Delete
  2. Elaine in North TexasMay 8, 2023 at 8:44 AM

    My first thought was lollipops, how fun.

    ReplyDelete