C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Simple Things

I'm celebrating a few simple things today....like dirt under my nails...and this tiny little dandelion seed head no bigger than my thumbnail.

There's something completely fascinating about a dandelion gone to seed. Some people see them as a nuisance...others see them as a thing of beauty.

And still others see them as a clock.

When I posted the photo of the dandelion field a few days ago Kate commented that she was teaching her 18 month old granddaughter about dandelion clocks.  I'd never heard of that...so I looked it up.  Fun little tidbit to know!

Paul and I didn't realize at first that the bird on the right was a toddler....I wish my photos were clearer. We watched the dad get a beak full of dried mealworms from the dish and feed the youngster.  Pure and simple happy hour entertainment right in the backyard.

I had my first swim this morning....the water was refreshingly cool....
and I'm grateful to be back to this simple early morning routine.

Yesterday's post about my son calling lupin "bluepins" got Dotty thinking. Her son's version of helicopter was "hopicopter." Love that! We all know a few....those precious renditions of real words that come out of the mouths of babes.

In addition to bluepin....here's a few more Shupe favorites:

nesturnaut....restaurant
bisgetti....spaghetti
therchuther....each other
mimi....excuse me

4 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, whoa! You are far thicker-skinned than I if you're already dipping into a swimming pool, and by dipping in I mean all the way in not just toes! Brava!

    LOVE the further enumeration of family lexicon faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water was warmer than the air...and once I got over the initial shock....it was amazing.

      Delete
  2. For a while, my youngest put the word "go" in front of everything- "goghetti" for spaghetti, and chocolate and "gonilla" aka vanilla. Then there was "baraffe" for giraffe, and my favorite, "shampoop" instead of shampoo. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE these!!! Thank you so much for sharing Kathy! Makes me smile!

      Delete