C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Monarch Orange

Pumpkins, marigolds, cantaloupe, monarch butterflies, Baltimore Orioles, sweet potatoes, zinnias, oranges and tangerines, sunsets, goldfish, carrots, squash, and basketballs....so many fabulous orange things! 

Mostly inspired by monarch butterflies and the Baltimore Oriole that recently visited our yard...I decided to go with orange and black for my second card in our Rainbow Connection shared art project.
I went through a graphic/bold orange phase painting papers a while back....so decided to cut strips from the gelli prints and doodles. 


I do love gold accents.


I liked it OK....but thought the lines needed definition.

 

Stitching changes everything.....
and provided the definition I was looking for.


Better....but now what?


After some auditioning...I came across a circle papercut in my stash. I'm thinking of them as O's for Orange!  I thought about covering the whole thing...but in the end I thought covering just a corner was more interesting.  


But it still needed a focal point....and I had just the right orange image from the monarch wallpaper I found at a thrift store.


Now it's done! 
Orange card to Tracie for the 
Rainbow Connection project...✔


I had the Oriole on the back and was going to just keep it simple...and at the last minute I added this little quote about the marigolds....a fabulous orange flower. See the link below for the full explanation.


Back in 2015 while Becky was visiting...Tracie had us searching for marigolds...and I made her this card.  I can't remember if I actually made this card....or if it was just digital.....2015 is a long time ago!

You can read more abou about "searching for marigolds" here:

2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, in telling and illustrating your personal art adventure here, you have captured the yes yes yes! of why I, too, make art. Making art is deep unfathomable mystery and magic, no two ways about it.

    All that, and an orange envelope liner to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! Sometimes I just sit down and make stuff....and other times my art is a journey with a story....and a back story. I need both.

      Delete