C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 1, 2023

UFP to FP

You've heard of UFO's....well I have a lot of UFPs: Un-Finished Projects.  They know me well....so they remain patient.

This paper pieced project has been waiting patiently since December of 2021 and now it's an FP: Finished Project!  I made it to be a colorful little mug rug..... I use one every day on my puzzle table.  It's just the right size for a small lunch plate or a cup of tea and a cookie.

It's all done by hand....except the quilting step. I have to limit my hand stitching....but I still find anything done by hand to be meditative.

The filtered natural light of my backyard continues to be the best for photographs. The colors just pop! And I do love the rock wall...and the woods as my backdrop.  


I wrote about my first English paper pieced projects in a post back in 2021. It's where you can see how I make and baste the squares around paper squares.

 
Because I didn't want to lose any of the outside edges of the squares 
by machine stitching a seam, I sewed the border on by hand. 
 

I would when I machine stitch a border.  Next I placed it on a piece of heavy weight batting that was cut slightly bigger and layered it all on top of a piece of fabric backing. 


I chose colorful variegated thread and stitched in the ditch by machine....this quilting is what holds all the layers together. I had to start and stop at the edge of the border and pull all the threads to the back and tie them off.


I actually like the effect quite a lot...
and it was way faster than hand quilting.  
and it covered up my little gray hand stitches.


I secured the border around to the back.  It got a little wonky in a few corners...it should have been narrower so there was too much fabric to maneuver.  The striped fabric might have been an odd choice to go with the batiks....but I had my reasons.  


I like the whimsical frame it adds....and although the prominent color is red...it's has the whole rainbow spectrum in the stripes....including pink! Postal tracking tells me it arrived at its destination today....and I hope the special recipient enjoys this  FRP: Finished Rainbow Project!


Speaking of pink.....isn't this a fabulous object that Kathy found!
I guess this is an IFO....Identified Found Object. 😂

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this English paper piecing is fascinating, and your FP stunning!

    From Elizabeth Berg's Art of Mending: "And fabric! Big square wicker baskets lined up on deep wall shelves and full of solid or printed cottons, silks, batiks, woolens, blends—you name it, I had some."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit this but I have not been faithful about reading your blog even though I love it. So part of my slowing down will be to start with this entry and read your blog everyday, reading two a day until I catch up with you. Maybe you will even inspire me to start blogging. Thank you so much for the beauty that you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should never feel bad about not reading. Our lives are full and rich...and there is only so much time. We just can't do everything. So welcome back....and I hope you find a little joy and inspiration here....whenever you visit.

      Delete