C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, June 2, 2023

Rounding the Corner

I'm heading out for the evening....so I'm posting early.  Dinner and cards with Jay and Janice is just what I need today!

hope whispers. 
quietly. 
slowly replacing doubt with the courage of possibility.

We have rounded the corner between spring and summer....and I feel like I'm in a bit transition too.....and feeling a little unsteady in the in-between. 

We've had a couple of days in the 80's...and I've been dead heading the last of the spring blooms.  It was a good year for bulbs....and I am grateful for all the color and joy they gave me.

But this one captured my heart....I think it might have been my favorite spring bloom.

The first photo was a few days ago....the second was another stem in its prime back in mid May. I love both stages.

 

I brought the tiny faded bloom inside and it will remain on my window sill while it continues to dry and transform into wabi-sabi wonderfulness. It will also be a good reminder that transitions are part of the circle of life.


I started a little tidying up in the studio and came across this colored pencil coloring page.....it seems I was practicing blending.

I stopped everything....drew some squiggly lines and did some neurographic drawing. There is something about rounding all these corners and angles that seemed especially soothing today.


I glued it into my art journal....and look forward to finding a quote for the opposite page to keep practicing my hand lettering. And maybe I'll keep fiddling with the coloring page too. A little something colorful and creative is good for the soul....while I'm rounding some corners.

2 comments:

  1. 1. MaryAnn, do you know if there is a way I can sign in permanently at your blog rather than have to enter all my info each time I comment?

    2. Transitions, an elemental facet of the circle of life. Have you read Kathryn Schulz's Lost and Found memoir? I'm currently about 75% of the way through reading it. I highly recommend.

    3. Like you, I grabbed colorful exercise I'd been playing with—in my case, with acrylic paint—grabbed a glass medicine dropper and some India ink, drew scribbles on top of my color splashed, and began smoothing out the intersections of line. SO calming. And INSTANTLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. The comment portion of the blog has always been a mystery. I thought it was more about what the commenter did than what I do. I'll ponder it.
      2. Sounds like a book I need to read! Thanks for the tip.
      3. Hope to see the result of your calming play.
      4. Thank you!

      Delete