C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Nugget List

"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us." 
Iris Murdoch 

I just started following LeeAnn Renninger on Instagram. She writes "random notes and doodles" about life in a witty and relatable way...and shares thoughtful little nuggets from other authors.  (That's where I found the quote at the top....from Iris Murdoch.) 

A few days ago she wrote about having the "opposite of a bucket list"....about striving for "things that require a gentle slowness, a way of being that isn't big buckety."  She pictures these things in pockets...or a tiny thimbles rather than buckets. You can find this post here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctn5d72uxHF/

I'm really not a bucket list kind of gal....but I do love this idea of the opposite.....a list of small quiet stuff.  I sometimes call these little things joy nuggets....so maybe I have a nugget list.

Those of you who have been following along for a while know how much my rain lilies mean to me.  If you don't....you can read the backstory here....but I post about them every year. They grow from bulbs that need to winter inside....and they love a hot humid summer.  Because we've had such a cool spring...they have been really slow to get started.  

The also prefer full sun, which I don't have....and as the trees get bigger the back patio is getting more and more shady.  But I have my first  buds.....and one will be opening soon. It's one of those joy nuggets...and I will celebrate the gentle slowness of the moment.
This is from a few years ago....and what I hopefully have to look forward to.


My sweet yellow daylily is also starting to bloom....
and that also makes me very happy. It has moved with me from house to house for year and years.


My lilies prompted me to start another spread in my art journal...in pinks and yellows.  I already had sewn in this loose watercolor by my dear friend Connie....so it seemed like the perfect spot for a lily page.  


I collaged some gelli print scraps and added the letter cutouts. The Y is from Becky's yellow envelope. I can see that there is a stark contrast with the styles....but I don't think Connie would mind. I've got a couple ideas of how to add to it....but that will be another day.

3 comments: