C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, June 3, 2023

Colorful Mail

I think I post a photo of Janice's window box every year....it just makes me happy.  It's so Strikingly Pleasing!

I love the window....even especially with the broken pane....and the weathered shingles.  It's the first thing you see when you drive up the driveway...and it just says "welcome."  
And I love the textures of the plants...with the reds, purples and greens together.
Well done Janice!  I'm going to be keeping an eye on it as it grows....it's just getting started!

I'm always tickled when fun and colorful handmade things come in the mail. 

As you know Tracie was the one who made my orange card for our Rainbow Connection project.  

Inspired by my Baltimore Oriole visitor...she made a "bonus orange card"...this time literally a greeting card.  I love it! Thanks Tracie!

I've been interacting with artist Dotty Seiter from Massachusetts.  We didn't live very far from each other for all those years I lived in Lexington...but I've only started chatting with her since I moved to Maine.

Dotty is catching up her Instagram page with artwork she did in 2022 and early 2023 when she took a break from Instagram.  I've been enjoying seeing what she's doing and reading her commentary which is always thoughtful and reflective. Dotty was the one who introduced me to neurographic art.

https://www.instagram.com/seiterdotty/

A week or so ago Dotty posted several pieces that were a mixture of acrylic paint, ink and oil pastel.  I was intrigued with the whimsical colors and the layers of intricate detail.....and I told her so. 

Some of the pieces...such as the one above...got cut up into bookmarks and I was lucky enough to get one in the mail. You can see the section from the painting where it came from. 


Dotty added more tiny details including asemic writing. There's just so much to look at and I was so glad to be able to really look closely and hold it in my hands. Thanks Dotty!


And...back to Janice for a minute. I was curious...so I looked back.  
Yup....here are a few more of Janice's window boxes I've posted! Aren't they fabulous!


2 comments:

  1. Janice's window boxes are art; they are studies in contrast, juxtaposition, wabi sari, and composition. And your photo of the closeup that highlights the missing glass windowpane presents a stunning found composition. SO much wonderful take-away for me here!

    Thank you for the shout-out and Instagram link, MaryAnn. This post and snippets of our recent conversational exchanges are moving the needle to help me set intentions for what I want to do in the way of making art while I'm on vacation later this month. I'm grateful!

    If the bookmark makes a particularly pleasing partnership with a book cover, do let me know. That kind of pairing is a favorite kind of matchmaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they ARE art! So glad you found some "take-away." I'm looking forward to see what your vacation art brings!

      Delete