C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Rabbit Hole!

Sometimes I'm surprised at what posts will trigger responses.  I heard from several of you who appreciated and validated my puzzle story....or just related to the fact that we can all do hard things.  Thank you for the emails and comments today!  

The sky was lovely tonight!


Inspired by an image I saw online....I went down a bit of a rabbit hole today playing around with the decorative stitches on my sewing machine to create a whimsical little garden.  Because it was an experiment....I stuck with just one color....but wouldn't it be fun with a few more!

I think this could be vastly improved...but the concept is interesting....especially for someone who has to limit tedious hand stitching.  Some of the stitches are awesome....and others not so much.  

I think there are all kinds of ways to add to it like french knots and other embroidery....and maybe some beading.
There are many more stitches on the machine to try.


I hate it when I do this....but I took a quick screenshot of the inspiration image....and I didn't go wide enough so can't give the artist credit.  But this is what got me thinking about my decorative stitches today.  I'm grateful to this artist for their beautiful inspiration garden.


I started the draft of this post this afternoon....and a bit later I was compelled to go just a bit further.  What a difference a little extra color and a few embellishments make. I love this little experimental garden and look forward to playing a bit more and maybe incorporating it into collage. Yes...fabric AND paper collage!  

8 comments:

  1. You have wowed me with your experimental spirit and experimental gardens! That last photo, with the further embellishment, is so appealing. Thanks for inviting us into the rabbit hole! Is arthritis your limiter when it comes to hand stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty.....I can see all kinds of applications for this technique. apparently I don't have arthritis...but have been diagnosed with tendinopathy so repetitive movements are hard on my thumbs and hands. My lack of focus on one thing (Bright Shiny Object Syndrome) and my wide variety of projects I enjoy is what helps keep my hands healthy.

      Delete
  2. Elaine in North TexasJune 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM

    I love your experimental garden. It may be a rabbit hole I have to visit in a few weeks when I get stuck recuperating from some female surgery. I am jotting down some ideas to keep me busy for a week or two. We like to follow fellow stitchers down rabbit holes. By the way, I also really love all the puzzles you do and breaking that long puzzle up into 3 puzzles is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine! I get very excited when something I share here is a springboard for someone else! Good luck with your surgery....and during your recovery....do some art and sewing!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Elaine's comment. it's fun to follow other creatives down a rabbit hole or two. Love your stitchery garden. Yes - the extra added color makes it pop. This composition would make a great focus for a card. At one point, I had some card blanks that one was supposed to insert a FPP piece into a 'frame' in the front. Wish I had those blanks now as I could see trying this and making up some tactile cards. Keep'em coming. (the ideas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle!I love it when others go down the rabbit hole with me. I was thinking cards too....and I have some of those frame cards. They are just paper....but they might work! I was thinking about turning this experiment into a card somehow.

      Delete
  4. I love embroideries like the one you are making - wildflowers in an organic row. :) I generally do my embroidery by hand ... but my Bernina certainly has plenty of fancy stitches built in. I never thought of using them to do flowers - marvelous idea!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I love handwork too...but this was fun...and easier on my hands. I think a combo of the two is the way to go!!!

      Delete