C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Standing Tall

Something simple today....just a few beautiful blooms standing tall. 

I am not a huge daylily fan....but I do love my little yellow one that has moved with me from house to house for as long as I can remember. 

This morning there were several blooms all at once....standing tall...making me smile.

And....I've never seen a hosta boom shoot up quite as tall and straight as this one.  As a matter of fact it was almost 43 inches from the ground.



And this foxglove...standing tall...stopped me in my tracks on our walk.


5 comments:

  1. oh! the foxglove and the picket fences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hostas brought wonderful memories back to me. My in-laws grew fabulous Hostas in Missouri but I have never seen them bloom. I have tried to grow them here in Texas, but they are small and have not bloomed. Something eats them even though I keep putting eggshells around them. Too dry, too hot and probably too much sun even though I have them tucked up against a fence. For the last two weeks we have had feels like weather of 110-112. Today our real temps are going over 100 and by mid week we should hit 107 for a few days. For 43+ years I have been in Texas and I extremely dislike June, July, and August. Even May and September are too hot for me. But I love the winter here. :)

    Love the foxgloves too. I don't think I have ever seen them in someone's flower garden but would love to some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missouri is a great place to grow hosta. My sister used to live there....and she had quite a collection. She is the one who got me going on the miniatures. I'm wondering what grows best in the heat of Texas?

      Delete
    2. Elaine in North TexasJune 26, 2023 at 9:14 PM

      Cactus! Actually, Texas is so big hat there are many areas that great very different plants. In my flower gardens the Day Lilies and Coneflowers do great. I have Turk's Cap that does wonderful but is extremely invasive. I have a few plants that I have gotten from friends that I don't have names for. In the spring Daffodils do good but I have had trouble with Tulips. The Tulips come up but the squirrels eat the bulbs so they only last a year or so (way too many squirrels here). I also have a type of milkweed that does well. Just like any place else, weeds. :)

      Delete