C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Lunch Guests

I was pretty excited to finally catch a hummingbird snacking on my new "hummingbird's lunch" plants.   

They're such sweet little birds....and such sweet little blooms!

I'm enjoying this little corner of the patio....with the rain lily buds coming one after another....

along with the rest of my early summer blooms. Life is good on the patio for us and our lunch guests. 

I wanted to share these new coasters from Jody, my friend and neighbor.

They remind me a bit of my green starburst card....I love the mix of wool....fabric...and stitching. Jody's handwork is amazing!  

The circle coasters fit right in with my current puzzle.  This one is just the right mix of color, challenge, and manageability.....and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.  



The puzzle is called "Pebbles"....and the artwork is by Melissa Sweet.


I looked her up....and I was smitten!  Melissa is an award winning children's book writer and illustrator is actually from right here in Portland, Maine!  Her lettering and artwork are whimsical and thoughtful....and full of inspiration.  Here are a few images from her Instagram Page....which I spent quite a bit of time scrolling through.  



This one's for you Paul.
These are two of Paul's favorite things too....
and he just rode to the library today!

4 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, I never tire of observing hummingbirds—as I did just yesterday : )

    I've had a soft spot for hummingbirds ever since I wrote a research report about them as a fifth grade student at The American School in the Hague, a report I wrote with the generous help of National Geographic magazine!

    Thanks for introducing me to Melissa Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are magical creatures. Any chance you still actually have that report from the 5th grade? I am quite taken with Melissa's art world. I want to explore it more!

      Delete
    2. I did keep that report for decades, until fairly recently in fact, but then let it go. I can still see my illustrations in my mind's eye, though! And I loved the very European style bound soft-cover notebook of 11 x 14" (although it was probably a metric measurement) pages alternating between lined and unlined.

      Delete