C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Bein' Green

Happy Summer Solstice!  

It's summer....and I'm thinking about greens: apples, grapes, grass, leaves and pine needles, olives, Kermit the Frog, mint ice cream, watermelon, beans, peas, frogs, and all those lovely leafy salad greens.

My green card for our Rainbow Connection project is finished....and I'm pretty happy with the stitched starburst design. 

I have a push punch that allows me to punch a hole in the middle of a piece of paper....it kind or works like a drill.

It comes with three punch sizes....and it worked perfectly to punch the center holes for my startbursts.

I opted to keep the border simple....just a piece of green card stock with a darker green stitch line.  I did tuck a piece of black paper between the layers so the holes would show up more.  


It's subtle....but I wanted the holes to be one of the features.


Green card for the Rainbow Connection project. 


Here's the back!
"It's not easy bein' green!"
Perfect quote for the Rainbow Connection project!


It's Not Easy Bein' Green
Kermit the Frog

It's not that easy bein' green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow, or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy bein' green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do just fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be

4 comments:

  1. SO much to explore here, MaryAnn—my eyes are doing a happy dance. This piece evokes memories of when I was young enough that my mom put me down for a nap every day but old enough that I didn't usually sleep. Instead, I'd entertain myself exploring the hand-sewn quilt made by my great-grandmother. Now I've got your green card to explore and it's keeping me riveted with its delicious asymmetries, the unpredictabilities of the variegated floss, the textural delight of floss and punched holes, the genius of the black background behind the holes, the organically wobbly circles of different sizes, the paint splatter, and the green, green, green. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....I'm not sure this little card is worthy of all that. praise...but I'll take it. And don't you love it when something evokes a childhood memory! Thanks Dotty....your kind words are much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Elaine in North TexasJune 22, 2023 at 9:31 AM

    Oh my gosh, I agree with Dotty. I was really attached to the circles and the embroidery. I might explore this in fabric with my favorite color - orange or maybe purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess I was on to something here! I hope you do play with this Elaine....and share your results...it would be fun in both orange and purple! It reminds me of the eyelet fabric curtains I had growing up.

      Delete