C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, June 12, 2023

One Step Further

Instagram is always "suggesting" pages to follow....and I mostly ignore them.  But for some reason I stopped and read this quote and laughed out loud.  It's soooo true for me.  I love chips.  Any kind of chips.

The only thing that keeps me from going into deep despair about not having chips in the pantry is that Paul makes the best homemade tortilla chips from corn tortillas.  He makes just ONE serving a couple times a week....just enough for chips and guacamole for happy hour.


I planted some small allium bulbs last fall...and I didn't think anything was going to come of them.  We've had so much rain during this late spring that I feared the bulbs just rotted in the ground.  What little foliage that was there was pretty sad.

But a week or so ago I noticed there were three tiny little buds.....and just today I found one of them that had started to open was broken off....the stem unable to hold it up.  It did give me a chance to study it up close...and I'll put it in water and see if it will finish opening up. I'll also keep an eye on the others.  Isn't it the sweetest darn thing!

There were a couple experimental elements with this stitched flower doodle.  I wanted to use different colors of thread....and I wanted to incorporate some fabric. I learn a few lessons each time I make one.

The green thread was variegated....and the very light green doesn't show up very well.  Won't make that mistake again. 

Putting that issue aside...I think the little dotty flowers are pretty adorable.  And...they look a little like the pink bud in the second allium photo.

I added a few french knots and just a couple of beads.


I also wanted to experiment with a way to finish these little stitched gardens so they could be mailed it as a card. I decided to mount it on a piece of mat board and use my fused binding technique as a border.

I ironed on a skinny strip of fusible webbing on one edge of the striped fabric...and stitched the other edge onto the doodle piece.

Nex I wrapped it around a piece of mat board and secured the binding to the back.


It worked like a dream!  And it may just be thin enough and light enough to mail with just one stamp...making it an Ounce of Joy...so to speak.  


The pinky red thread is also variegated...and has a bit of a shimmer.  But unlike the green....the lighter colors in this thread show up pretty well. 


I cover the back with paper or fabric and add a simple stand.


I framed the blue one in the same way.  
I wonder what's next?

4 comments:

  1. Fun little bits of lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! "Fun bits of lovely" is a great description. The sewing maching is doing all the work!

      Delete
  2. Elaine in North TexasJune 13, 2023 at 8:33 AM

    I just busted out laughing this morning when I read the Instagram post. I even had to read it to my husband. He has a ton of chips/nuts in the cupboard and I am always trying to lose some weight. I go to the pantry alot wanting something I "can" eat and I always have that disappointed feeling of nothing being there when I only see what I want and not what I "can" eat. I so love chips and nuts. Living in Texas, I can munch on tortilla chips all by themselves.

    I am so loving your flowers and with the stripped binding, they are to absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling at our shared delight!!! Thanks for the fabulous response...about the chips quote....and the kind words about the flower doodles Elaine!

      Delete