C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Swinging

We had a big tree along the edge of our yard on the farm with the perfect branch for a tree swing.  There was a small ditch between the yard and the road that we would fill with leaves in the fall to jump into from the swing.  The swing changed from time to time....I remember tires and boards...but the very best one was just a rope lined with an old cushion. I remember rushing out the door after dinner to get to the swing first. 

I have wanted to make a hummingbird swing for quite some time.  I've seen them from time to time online....and the idea has been rattling around in my head.

Inspired by this one that Tracie made a few days ago....I decided that today was the day to make my swing!
Mine is pretty simple. I drilled holes in a piece of driftwood....
added wire twisted with red beads and secured the ends onto the tree branch.  


This lower branch of the tree was dead....and I didn't prune it all the way back earlier this spring thinking this would be the perfect spot for the swing.  I've seen a few birds perch on the branch and who knows if I'll get a hummingbird in the swing or not.  But it doesn't really matter....because it got me thinking about my childhood on the farm...and how I loved to swing!  And...it's kind of cute hanging there.


This is an old photo of the three trees in our front yard.  The left one was the flower tree because the garden is off to the left....the middle one was the skinny tree...and the right one was the mailbox tree. You guessed it....the mailbox is off to the right. You can see the big brach that goes off the photo on the right....that was the swing branch. It was perfect. We made up a silly game called "Hide Behind the Three Trees"....and you and read about it here: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2015/07/hide-behind-three-trees.html


And to continue the...fun family words....
Kathy's son used to put "go" in front of words:
goghetti for spaghetti
gonilla for vanilla

And....baraffe for giraffe and her favorite shampoop for shampoo!

Thanks Kathy! I bet your son liked to swing!

2 comments:

  1. Aawww- thanks for highlighting my son's creative vocabulary. I could have given you more, but I thought those were some of the better ones. Yes, both of my boys loved to swing, and always spent lots of time outside without encouragement. And they still do as adults! I love your tree memories and especially that you gave them names. It's almost always fun to look back.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tickled with your son's words....and I guess all kids love to swing. Thanks for chiming in....always good to hear from you Kathy!

      Delete